Friday, October 19, 2007

my pet, my pal

My dear pet and friend, Callie, does a superb job keeping me company. Even though plenty of her time is spent napping, she manages to amuse and entertain me in quite creative ways. Being an only “child”, she occasionally behaves like a “spoiled rotten brat-cat”. Nevertheless, she normally is a well mannered feline who enjoys human companionship. Callie plays very nicely by herself, but often includes me in activities, whether or not I’m willing.

Each morning, when she determines the proper time has arrived, she begins the awakening process by gently attempting to pull my covers down. If the desired response isn’t accomplished, she quickly moves along to the next stage. With great determination, she paws at the window blinds as if they were piano keys. This creates music that is considerably annoying. Most mornings, I reach an irritated state and regret she isn’t equipped with a snooze button. Eventually, I drag myself from the comforts of sweet dreams and attend to her needs. The ulterior motive behind Callie’s impatient disruptions is food - the hunger to dine on tasty and healthy nutrition heavily laden with delectable gravies. (This is in addition to dry cat food, always at her disposal.)

My presence has been requested. I must go play now.

“Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a purpose.“
Garrison Keillor

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Haha, Max loves to disturb sleep (hence he is locked in his room at night!) We are actually considering getting him a pal so he will have someone to play with at night besides us! (And someone to keep him company when we're away!)