Friday, October 12, 2007

am i meek?

Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.
Matt. 5:5 (NIV)

O LORD, thou wilt hear the desire of the meek; thou wilt strengthen their heart, thou wilt incline thy ear
Ps 10:17 (RSV)

What does meek mean? It’s defined as showing patience and humility; gentle; easily imposed on; submissive; enduring injury with patience and without resentment; deficient in spirit and courage; and not violent or strong.

To be meek, I must:
not easily get angry
put up with insults and injuries
be considerate to everyone
think more of others than of myself
not be envious
take orders and criticism
accept God’s will
attribute all I have and all I am to God’s grace

Wow! That’s a tall order to fill! I can only work towards this goal with Jesus in my life. I admit, I’ve not really thought about this - God’s desire is for me to be meek. To be meek - at home, at the grocery store, around friends, at WalMart, with family and friends, driving in traffic, around enemies, at church, on a walk in the neighborhood, eating at Chili's - everywhere I am and with everyone I am with.

Wisdom, fear, and meekness, say they, are of high esteem; but, "meekness", is greater than them all.
Author: Unknown

God, teach us to be meek but not weak and to be bold but not arrogant. Amen.

(Photo: Taken by Andrew, on the hill behind Mt Vernon Baptist, Boone, NC)

1 comment:

Sheila said...

My small group talked about meekness last Sunday. My favorite definition is "strength under control". I think being meek entails a little more than I've always given it credit for-- it is not being "weak" but strong and controlled.