Monday, October 1, 2007

grandmother?

I know I’ve talked about being a grandmother before, but it’s all so new to me and I love it! I understand there are many stages of being a grandparent, so I must be going thru the first one. I’m O’s Nana (pronounced “nan-a”)!

So, I've been a grandmother for three months and two days. But, I've been thinking, in comparison to my grandmothers: Do I look like a grandma? Do I dress like a grandma? Do I possess a grandma’s wisdom and knowledge? Do I even behave like a grandma? Do I speak like a grandma? Do I work like a grandma? And, what about cooking like a grandma?

Appearance - I don’t wear my hair in a bun and I want a butterfly tattoo
Dress - I have on gym shorts and an old t-shirt that belonged to A, I normally dress very casually
Knowledge - reservoir of family wisdom?, not so much, yet
Behavior - definitely not very refined, accused of being zany at times
Speech - today’s jargon has countless new words, I’m making an effort to improve my grammar
Labor - certainly not tirelessly from sunup to sundown
Cook - nix on daily hot biscuits from scratch, no feast for Sunday dinner, don't wear an apron

My Dad’s mother was Nana (pronounced “na-na”). She died when I was almost 5. Unfortunately, I don’t remember her very well.

My Mom’s mother was Grandmother. She died when I was 12. I have many happy memories of her.

There’s a drastic difference in our life experiences. We are from a different place and another time. My grandmothers' generation led a much simpler life in many ways, but a lot more difficult in others.

Oh Lord, thank you for the Christian legacy of my Grandmothers. Please guide me and teach me to be the grandmother you desire, according to Your will. Thank you for abundantly blessing my life with Olivia. Amen.

Children's children are a crown to the aged, and parents are the pride of their children.
Proverbs 17:6 (NIV)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't remember Grandmother Robbins to be calle Grandmama,But my memory isn't what it used to be.
You are a (great) Nana..I'm looking forward to you telling me the books you two read,what kind of cookies you bake together, the plants you watch grow together, and the simple craft you have to make on a visit...well in time. Love Olivia's Great Aunt Mary

Anonymous said...

I don't spend much time at all online but I heard I should check out your blog. What I've read so far looks great but I'm not quite sure how I feel about your comment about not looking like a grandma... really, a butterfly?