Tuesday, October 30, 2007

space, time, and love

(The Lord) who by his understanding made the heavens, His love endures forever. who spread out the earth upon the waters, His love endures forever. who made the great lights-- His love endures forever. the sun to govern the day, His love endures forever. the moon and stars to govern the night; His love endures forever.
Psalms 136:5-9 (NIV)


Have you ever looked upward to a midnight blue sky, glimmering with countless twinkling stars? Have you ever contemplated heaven’s endless reach through this awesome universe? Have you ever reflected on God’s creation of you, and of His endless love for you?

Once, while visiting Andrew in Boone, I walked outside and gazed up at a cloudless night sky. It appeared deep and faraway and held an abundance of stars both near and in the distance. I was looking at an infinite expanse through the cosmic darkness. There, in the mountains, away from city lights, I saw the moon and stars with intense clarity. That night, as I lay down to sleep, I marveled at the awesome creation of God and of His love for me.

I know there’s no beginning or end, and that God has always been and always will be. In the midst of endless time, there was an exact moment in which God created this world. These are certainties never intended for me to fully understand – not at this moment in time.

My heavenly Father is the Alpha and the Omega. He created the incredible celestial firmament and spectacular earth. I am but a tiny speck in a vast expanse of space and time, but God knows me by name. The creation of God goes far and beyond the diminutive part visible to my sight and perception. I am in awe of His majesty, power and glory.

God created mankind, He knows our minds and our hearts, and He loves each and every one of us. God is omnipotent, and His love endures forever…

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end." Revelation 22:13 (NRSV)

No comments: