Saturday, March 26, 2011

what can i do?


"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
Matthew 28:19-20 NAS

So I ask myself, "what can I do?" Certainly more than I do.  I obey God and give my tithes and offerings.  What else?  Support missions - both in America and foreign countries.  Attend church weekly.  Be faithful in studying His word.  Live so others can see Jesus in me.  Visiting some home bound church members.  Even though I have some physical limitations, there are simple and small things I can do.  Like, taking a couple of turns manning a tractor trailer to receive items for a church yard sale.  The proceeds will benefit causes supported by the Women on Missions (WOM) group.  As much as I'm able, be active with the WOM and helping with projects.  And, thinking about it, there’s many, many other ways I can serve.

(Excerpt from Lifeway ‘Explore the Bible Adult Learner Guide’, Spring 2011):
Some people mistakenly believe that missionary work can only be done by certain Christians who have received a special calling from God.  Yet Jesus’ mandate that we know as the Great Commission was intended to apply to all His followers, not just to a special group of people.  Certainly some are called to go as career missionaries.  However, God wants every follower making disciples.  You may already be involved in spreading the gospel and not realize it.  For example, a portion of tithes and offerings given to Southern Baptist churches goes to provide financial support, supplies, and equipment to missionaries all over the world.  There are many ways you can join others in spreading the gospel in your community as well as to the ends of the earth.

No comments: