Saturday, March 19, 2011

what matters?


Someday, this earthly life will end.  It will end and I’ll be gone, gone for eternity.  My journey will be over, it will come to an end. 

I’ll leave family and friends who I treasure and love.  I’ll leave all hopes and dreams and precious memories.  All photos and cards and songs and books.  All grins and giggles and smiles and laughter.  All kisses and hugs and twinkling eyes.  These dear blessings I’ll hold close to my heart.

It won’t matter that our yard has weeds or our house is small or the floor needs vacuuming.  It won’t matter that bills need paying or our cat needs brushing or the towels need folding.  Does it matter?  None of these things matter.  Not a single one. 

I’ll leave things left undone, things I should have done, things I didn’t say, things I intended to do, things I put off for later, things I wanted to do, things I wished to do, places I didn’t go.  Did I make good decisions, Did I get it right?  Did I make a difference?  Any regrets?  There will be no more chances, nothing I can do.  Does it matter?

What matters?  Did I live a Godly life?  Did I obey God?  Did I completely live for Jesus?  Did I do the work of Jesus?  Did others see Jesus within me?  Did I walk with Him?  Did I appreciate His peace and joy and love and blessings?  These actions matter.  These actions have significance, they have meaning.  These actions are first and foremost and uppermost.

When my life's work is done, Jesus will take me home.  My home for eternity.

No comments: