Friday, November 9, 2007

thankfulness

Outside the kitchen window, I see the season’s last rose. Wilted by frost, it’s just a tiny bud hanging on the trellis. Its hues of fuchsia and yellow are stunning in the afternoon sun. What a beautiful sight! I’ve really enjoyed my climbing Joseph’s Coat Roses – thorns and all.

Have I thanked God for the thorns in my life? I’ve thanked Him many times for the roses, but not for the thorns. It’s easy to give thanks for the blooms and the blessings. The pain from the thorns must have a reason, but I don’t always understand. I haven’t thanked God for the thorns, although the Bible instructs me to be thankful in all things.

Lord, help me remember to be thankful for the roses and for the thorns, for the good and for the bad, for the joy and for the pain, for the laughter and for the tears – for all things in my life.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV)

1 comment:

momofthreegirls said...

A good reminder for all of us. It was good to see you this weekend. We have the most blessed family don't we?!