Saturday, January 30, 2016

to the hills


Last summer, I drove up to the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina just to be alone, with nature.  Hubs and I both enjoy day trips up to the hills.  But, sometimes it’s good to get away, by one’s self.  It does a soul good to be alone with God, in His breathtaking creation...

I love the mountains unto themselves - the sights, the smells, the sounds, the breezes, the warmth, the colors, the beauty, the seasons, the peacefulness.  I call this 'God's Country'.  The Blue Ridge Parkway, the Watauga River, Linville Falls, Grandfather Mountain, Hebron Rock Colony, Valle Crucis, Boone, Blowing Rock...

The incredible countryside, dusty dirt roads, green pastures on hills, leaning fences, the old general store, powerful rivers, weathered barns, long forgotten fields, wooden bridges, sparkling creeks, worn pathways, abandoned houses, mighty waterfalls, rustic farms, massive boulders, tranquil lakes... 

God created this, as far as my eyes can see, and infinitely beyond.  I walk down a narrow path, up to a grassy place, near the edge of a bubbling creek.  I lie down with the sun on my face, a gentle breeze softly blowing, the melodious music of birds in concert with the splashing creek, the sweet fragrance of wildflowers drifting by...
 
My heart overflows, in the presence of God Almighty.  I know the Father knows me, He has plans for me, He strengthens me, He teaches me, He guides me.  I trust in Him... 

I close my eyes and relax in the presence of God.  I'm flooded with thoughts of His goodness, His lovingkindness, His greatness, His grace, His powerfulness, His compassion, His graciousness, His forgiveness, His strength, His mercy, His holiness, His truthfulness, His promises, His faithfulness, His righteousness, His glory, His mightiness...

So here I am, stretched out on my back, I open my eyes and look upward.  As the clouds drift by, their puffy white shapes are vibrant against the intense blue sky.  The sunbeams warm me, as I serenely drift off to sleep...

Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.
Psalm 25:4-5 NIV

Yet those who wait for the LORD will gain new strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary.
Isaiah 40:31 NAS

'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11 NAS

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.  I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10 NIV

No comments: