Thursday, January 7, 2016

money vs joy

I can't imagine having a large bank account, living in a pricey home, wearing all the latest fashions, owning expensive jewelry, enjoying spas, driving a luxury car, dining at exclusive restaurants.  I just can't imagine it because I seriously don't want a wealthy life. Sound crazy? Not really. 

All the money in the world will never make me happy.  I'm thankful that our needs are sufficiently met. Thankful that we tithe our income and can pay our bills and have plenty of food and clothing and a warm home and a job. Thankful to be able to do for others. There's another thing, serving others brings joy, giving to others brings joy. 

But, if I did had more money than I needed, I'd like to think I'd do the right thing. I would give more to support the church and missions. I would like to share it with the needy, the sick, the homeless.  I'd like to donate to worthy causes. And give it away. That's what I'd like to do. There's another thing, serving others brings joy, giving to others brings joy. 

Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
Matthew 19:21 NIV

Looking at the other side now, excess money can be dangerous! Be warned, too much can be quite a serious problem!  It can make you selfish. You can become addicted. You can develop a deep love for money. You will want more, more, more.  It can become your life. 

Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless.
Ecclesiastes 5:10 NIV

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
Hebrews 13:5 NIV

"No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.
Matthews 6:24 NIV

Bottom line: you'll never be happy if you chase money all your life. Find real joy thru giving and serving others... 

Money vs joy: which will it be?

No comments: