Saturday, April 17, 2010

a song and a prayer

Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Psalm 73:25-26 NIV)


While I was working in the yard this afternoon, I had a song stuck in my head. I sung it over and over and over and over again. It was 'Be Thou My Vision', an old Irish hymn from the 8th century. My favorite Christian artists who have recorded it are Ginny Owens and Rebecca St. James.

This song is a prayer, asking God to work in our lives, in our hearts, and in our thoughts. It reminds me that God is in control of my life, that He lives within me, that He works thru me, and I am His child.
-->All I need is God in my life and to be in His presence. This song is relevant today, as it was when written in the 8th century.
Be Thou my Vision

Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art

High King of Heaven, my victory won
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all

No comments: