Monday, July 30, 2012

the redwoods




I love nature. Sometimes I get curious enough about something and will look it up.  Redwoods.  I wanted to know more about redwoods.  And, now I do.

We had to have a large pine tree cut down.  It made me sick.  It had provided me shade for years.  One of the guys explained how pine tree roots behaved.  Then he asked me if I knew how deep redwood roots were.  I knew they were tall, tall, tall.  I guessed they were about a half mile.  Wrong answer.


How do these giants stand for so many years? Their shallow roots, seriously.  Redwoods grow close together and their root systems intermingle and intertwine and entangle and interweave and interlock, resulting in strong support for each tree. 

Working together for the common good.
Author – the Redwoods

No comments: