Friday, April 18, 2008

the life that counts…

These last few days have shown a bright, beautiful sunshine, colorful new flowers, fresh, clean scents wafting along gentle breezes, and not to forget, the springtime green of lawns with the pleasant scent of fresh cut grass drifting down the street. Yesterday, while sitting outside on a comfortable bench, just enjoying the warmth, the fragrances, watching the antics of the pond fish, and listening to the chatter of birds – and then, my mind somehow drifted away…and I started thinking about death. Then, I thought about the new life all around me. Once again, the handiwork of God reminded me that Jesus died so that I might have a new life.

My question was, “If I die soon, or perhaps later, would my life have made a difference to others?” Has anyone else paused to think about your own death? I’m not trying to sound morbid here. I’m just wondering…

I wonder if the way I’m living my life will make a positive difference for someone else? From my speech and from my actions, can others see that Jesus lives in me? I try hard to say things, do things, and think things with in a foremost Christian mind-set. I have often failed to do the right thing, the things I know I am called to do. Sometimes I lose my vision and slip. My goal is to live to serve God, to serve others, to give to others, and to minister to others. My very best is to be given to God, and I never want to hold anything back.

A Spiritual Legacy – My Dad died in Sept 2000, and Mark’s Dad in January 2003. Both of our fathers were Christian leaders, and the joy of their salvation was expressed each day of their lives. I genuinely admire these two men, and thru them, I learned so much about right and wrong, about truth and faith, and about love and peace. In their Christian walk, these two Dads affected the lives of hundreds and hundreds of people. The heartfelt influence their lives and their testimonies have had upon each of their families and friends will continue to have an affect on future generations. Mark and I were both truly blessed to be raised in Christian homes.

As you know, like a father with his own children, we encouraged, comforted, and implored each one of you to walk worthy of God, who calls you into His own kingdom and glory. (1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 the Holman Christian Standard Bible)

How can I, as a Christian, make my life count? As a believer, I can’t lose my salvation, but I could waste my life and never make a difference. I pray that would never happen. A wasted life is a tragedy. Given that Jesus died and rose again, and forgave my sins, then there’s no sacrifice too great for me to make for Him. If I want to know the full joy and happiness of life, I need to live to please the Lord Jesus Christ and not myself.

Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wants to come with Me, he must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life because of Me will find it. (Matthew 16:24-25 The Holman Christian Standard Bible)

Jesus rules in my life, and each day will count for eternity. Christianity is a passionate quest. It’s not an easy life, but a struggle. It costs nothing to become a Christian, but it costs everything to be one. It’s not popularity but persecution, not comfort but a cross. But it is the best life. I serve the best Master. My rewards are wonderful, both now and in eternity. It would be my ultimate joy to hear Him say to me at last, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant ... enter thou into the joy of thy Lord." (Matthew 25:21 RSV)

Awesome! As I live my life for Jesus, mine is a life that counts…

No comments: