Monday, April 28, 2008

happy in hope, patient in pain, constant in prayer

Rejoice in hope; be patient in affliction; be persistent in prayer.
Romans 12:12 (The Holman Christian Standard Bible)


When I experience pain, whether be it physical, emotional, or spiritual, I’m much better off if I keep these struggles in prayer. In the midst of pain, suffering, and tribulation, I pray. Sometimes, my prayers may not seem to make a difference, but I can soon tell they absolutely not only make a difference, but also lead to change. Without hope, the pain could take control of my life. With the hope that Jesus Christ brings into my live, He is in control. What an amazing feeling!

I recently read a sermon delivered by John Piper. The verse, and Piper’s words, reminded me that Jesus is always with me in times of pain and tribulation. Below is a very brief summary and the link for the entire sermon.

Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

This joy is in Jesus, and this hope is for Jesus, and this patience is from Jesus, and this tribulation is with Jesus.

Tribulation is unique in this list. Love, joy, hope, patient endurance are all things we experience or do. But tribulation is something that is done to us, or happens to us. Love, joy, hope, patience are all virtues—they rise in the soul by God’s grace as something morally good. Tribulation is not a virtue. It’s not in the category as a moral act of the soul.

So the “great joy” announced by the angels is a very embattled joy. It is a joy to be fought for and a joy always under attack. Always threatened by tribulation. And the call of Romans 12:12 is not to rejoice without tribulation, but to rejoice in spite of, and even because of, tribulation.

http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Sermons/ByDate/2004/194_Happy_in_Hope_Patient_in_Pain_Constant_in_Prayer/

No comments: