Friday, October 3, 2014

i was amazed

This past Saturday, hubs and I took a day trip to the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina.  We drove along the Blue Ridge Parkway, stopping at almost every overlook for pictures.  It was an incredible day with warm sunshine and gentle breezes.  There was a hint of autumn in the crisp clear air.  An absolutely perfect day.  And I was amazed with all I was blessed to see.

It was almost intoxicating as I took in the magnificent beauty God had laid before for us.  We hiked up an easy trail that was bursting with things I hold dear.  I stopped often along the way taking pictures of beautiful wild flowers, delicate ferns, odd mushrooms, soft green moss, unusual lichen, a cave tucked away into huge boulders, trickling natural springs...  I paused to soak in the prelude of color that was beginning to sweep thru the mountains.  Such beauty that our Creator spoke into existence.  And I was amazed with all I was blessed to see.

It was dark as we drove along the parkway on our way home.  Hubs pulled over onto an overlook and said ‘let’s see the stars’.  As I got out of the car, it was totally dark, not a single light to be seen, high above anything that could block our view.  I mean total darkness.  As I looked up at the dazzling, spectacular sky spread above me, I could hardly speak.  There were trillions of brilliant, twinkling stars across the wide canopy of sky above us, around us, just for us, at that moment in time.  It was mesmerizing as I turned around and around and then leaned against the car.  All I could say was, ‘and He knows the names of each and every one’.  And I was amazed with all I was blessed to see.

Then God said, “Let lights appear in the sky to separate the day from the night. Let them be signs to mark the seasons, days, and years.  Let these lights in the sky shine down on the earth.” And that is what happened.  God made two great lights—the larger one to govern the day, and the smaller one to govern the night. He also made the stars.  God set these lights in the sky to light the earth, to govern the day and night, and to separate the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good.

Genesis 1:14-18 NLT