Sunday, November 17, 2013

once upon a time............

Sometimes I think about upcoming events or changes pertaining to me, my loved ones, to others, or to the world. I may be anxious about some things, such as a dentist appointment, or the results of my cholesterol test. Others, I eagerly look forward to experiencing or witnessing, like a vacation, a visit from family, or watching a baseball game.

Time can slip thru my fingers if I pay too much attention to tomorrow instead of embracing today. Whether it’s nice or dreadful, joyful or miserable, it is today. Today is a gift, given to me from the Lord. I ought to be thankful for the opportunities and experiences I receive today.

With every tick of a clock, the past is gone.  Just as quickly, the future is gone.  As quickly as time marches on, can I honestly say I embrace the present or reflect on a contented past or look to the future with hope and peace?  Not always.  Just a fact of life...
When I was online recently, I came across this: “Amidst fear, we have peace beyond understanding; amidst sorrow, we have joy unspeakable; amidst trouble, we have every comfort and consolation; amidst uncertainty, we have the blessed hope.”
 
I don’t know the origin or author, but these words take negative emotions and give the positive responses offered in Christ. No matter what happens, today or tomorrow, God is in control of my life. I gladly embrace my gift of time today!

We often spend too much of the present anxious to reach the future, and when we get there, what do we do? We wonder where the time went. Author: Unknown

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:6-7 (NASB)

No comments: