Tuesday, November 5, 2013

it's that time of year....

I’ve spent a lot of time lately gazing out at my backyard secret garden and day dreaming about all the things I long to do and things I want to do and things I need to do and things I love to do.  There are bulbs that need planting, some shrubs that need trimming, flower seeds to collect, a new flower bed to prepare, shrubs and flowers that need transplanting, the garden pond needs some attention, two birdhouses need to be set up, two brackets mounted on the arbor for the new bird feeders.  Right now, all I can manage is keeping water in the birdbath, filling the bird feeders, and hanging suet baskets.  To me, this is more than just a hobby, it’s rather like a sense of duty I gladly accept.

I love being outside, getting dirty, breathing in fresh air, enjoying a breeze, listening to the music, and appreciating all of nature, from the little orange beetle to the red-tailed hawk to the hungry raccoon to the sneaky opossum and the writing spiders and yes, even the very long shiny black rat snake.  I have been awed by the fall colors, look forward to winter snow, but, most of all, I will savor every single bit of God’s creation and soak in His wonderful gifts of nature.

 The last few days have been gray and gloomy.  The darkness will soon chase away the late afternoon light.  I’ll adjust, it is a part of nature that must be. 

Soon my theater will burst open ushering in sunny days, rainy days, birds that are blue and yellow and tiny and large, scampering squirrels sneaking birdseed, and wonders great and small.  I will be serenaded with chirping and chattering and peeping and singing and screeching and...

And, all will be well.

No comments: