Saturday, October 6, 2012

on a hill an empty cross


I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.     Galatians 2:20 NAS

There are times when the cross comes to the forefront of my mind.  Not just any cross, but that cross on the hill.  I contemplate exactly what that cross means to me.  That cross: it’s a powerful thing.  Jesus died and rose around 2,000 years ago, yet because of His sacrifice on that cross, I’m saved by His mercy and grace.  As a Christian, I have faith in that cross.  On that cross I was crucified with Jesus.  That’s a fact.  It’s a concept that’s difficult to wrap my mind around.  But, in my heart?  I know it was there that Jesus willingly died for me.  I know for a fact, I have total confidence, I’m definitely certain, I’m absolutely sure, I’m a believer, I’m positive it’s true, I have no doubt, I completely accept, I’m assured and secure, yet I don’t fully comprehend nor understand.  In every respect, I have faith that He died and rose for all, even a filthy sinner like me.

On that hill, there stands the empty cross.  I know that is true.  I have faith

There’s a hymn titled ‘Only a Sinner’ (James M Gray, 1905) that nails it. 
Refrain
Only a sinner, saved by grace!
Only a sinner, saved by grace!
This is my story, to God be the glory
I’m only a sinner, saved by grace!

Another hymn, ‘Nothing but the Blood’ (Ro­bert Low­ry, 1876) lays it out clear and simple.What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Refrain
Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.

No comments: