Wednesday, December 2, 2009

lie (part 1)

I told a lie last week. I knew it was a lie, but I said it anyway.

As I walked out of the mall, a small SUV slowed to a stop. The man inside said “Ma'am, we are asking everyone we see to help us.” A woman in the passenger seat stared at me expressionless. Next, he said, “we don’t have much gas and this is all the money we have (holding up a ten dollar bill).” Then, he pulled two pictures from his wallet. They were of a young girl. He held up the pictures and said they had to get to Wilmington to see her. She was critically ill.

I told him I was sorry, but I didn’t have any money. Before he drove away, he said “Thank you ma'am, and God bless you.”

I told a lie. I knew it was lie, but I said it anyway. I did have money. I had $14. Why didn’t I give him the money? As they left, I felt terrible. I don’t always have money to spare, but last week I did.

There is never a justification for lying. Plain and simple, lying is a sin. (Yes, the encounter did make me feel a little uncomfortable. Crime has increased, especially during the holidays. I try to be aware of my surroundings and I’m extra careful.) Yet still, plain and simple, lying is a sin.

Maybe I should have given him my $14. Maybe I should have been compassionate. Maybe I should have helped. Maybe? Maybe I should have? There is absolutely, positively, definitely, undeniably, never ‘maybe’! Without any doubt, God commands truthfulness!

I’m a Christian, but I failed miserably. Truthfulness is a commandment, but I failed to obey. I’m thankful that God forgives me of my sins. I’m grateful that the Word of God teaches me the way I should go. I pray that next time, I will be honest and truthful, and do what God has instructed.

I knew it was a lie, yet I said it anyway.

A lie is a lie is a lie.

The Bible is full of verses regarding lying, dishonesty, and deceit:

Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him
Colossians 3:9-10 NAS

There are six things which the LORD hates, Yes, seven which are an abomination to Him: Haughty eyes, a lying tongue, And hands that shed innocent blood,
Proverbs 6:16-17

Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to his neighbor, for we are all members of one body.
Ephesians 4:25 NIV

"You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
Exodus 20:16 (NIV)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I understand I've been there too. I'm uncomfortable when confronted and feel guilty when I don't handle as I know God wants me to. I wish we could outgrow sin but I guess not in this life. MW

Fierce Blogs said...

It is getting harder and harder to trust people nowadays. I have been in this position many times and yet I believe I am just being cautious to the people and environment to be more extra careful.