Wednesday, March 11, 2009

then and now...past and present

but in case I am delayed, I write so that you will know how one ought to conduct himself in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth. 1 Timothy 3:15 NAS

I attended a small country-ish church from birth until I married and moved away. Mind you, I’m not that old, and can only speak of my experiences, but wow how churches have changed! From my first church to my current church, what a difference!

Pews? The pews were hard and seating was uncomfortable. I remember a few little old ladies came with pillows in tow. (I’m not quite a little old lady, yet I also bring a pillow.) Now the pews are fully cushioned and much more comfortable.

Hymnals? Hymnal racks were attached to the back of pews, and of course, the racks held hymnals. I can’t remember when I last sang from a hymnal. Today, there are complex media systems, both sound and visual. Words to songs are large, easy to read and displayed on two wide screens. We now have not only a piano and organ, but a few other instruments, and pre-recorded music CDs.

Hymnal racks? Not only the unused hymnals, but bibles are also placed in the racks. That’s a good idea for someone who doesn’t have access to a bible. However, I wonder if this convenience causes some to leave their personal bibles at home. Do you go to school without your text book?

Microphones? Preachers didn’t have a microphone, even if the church could buy one. They just spoke a little louder. I’m not sure how many microphones are in the sanctuary now. The preacher and the music leader are clearly heard, as well as the instruments and choir.

Air conditioners? I think not. There were these neat paperboard hand fans on a stick. I’m convinced that the weather back then wasn’t as hot and humid as is now. Now I’m quite comfortable with thermostats.

Announcements? They were usually spoken from the pulpit and also listed in a bulletin. The bulletins were typed by the church secretary and were plain. Now, announcements are listed on the wide screens before the service begins and also in our jazzed up bulletins.

Is the House of God taken for granted? Appreciated? Highly regarded? Revered? Cherished? How about the modern building? Large sanctuary, plenty of Sunday school rooms, and large fellowship hall? Excellent Sunday school materials? Fully equipped nurseries? Wednesday night suppers? Multitude of programs for all age groups? Senior Pastor, Minister of Worship and of Senior Adults, Minister of Youth and of Media, Minister of Children and of Communications, Preschool Director, Secretaries?

Do we, the church, honestly and completely, earnestly and sincerely, recognize exactly how blessed we are???

"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." Matthew 18:20 NAS

Do you not know that you are a temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16 NAS

No comments: