Monday, September 29, 2008

it smacked me upside the heart (continuation of Sept 26)

I’ve prayed, asking God for forgiveness, for help, for peace, for others, for direction, for comfort, for healing, for mercy, for courage... I’ve talked about my troubles, about things I must face, about understanding, about questions I have... I’ve thanked God for Jesus, for blessing me, for loving me, for saving me, for answered prayers...

I’ve asked God, and He has said no, He has said wait, He has said yes, I’ve asked God, and He has said... God does hear the prayers of His children. His Word teaches us how to pray. I have to spend more time with God, privately, in quietness, and listen. Sometimes I just need reminding.

Below is the poem that caught my attention. As I read it, there were verses I could have written myself (if I were a poet). I found 14 biblical references for each thing asked of God. Yes, it smacked me upside the heart.

And God Said No
by Claudia Minden Weisz

I asked God to take away my grief, and God said “No”.
He said it was not for Him to take away, but for me to work through.

I asked God to make by broken heart whole, and God said “No”.
He said my spirit is whole, and my pain is only temporary.

I asked God to take away my pride, and God said “No”.
He said it was not for Him to take away, but for me to give up.

I asked God to make my handicapped child whole, and God said “No”.
He said her spirit was whole, her body was only temporary. (the author’s child had Rett Syndrome)

I asked God to grant me patience, and God said “No”.
He said patience is a by-product of tribulations; it isn’t granted, it is earned.

I asked God to give me happiness, and God said “No”.
He said He gives me blessings, happiness is up to me.

I asked God to spare me pain, and God said “No”.
He said suffering draws me apart from worldly cares and brings me closer to Him.

I asked God to make my spirit grow, and God said “No”.
He said I must grow on my own, but He will prune me to make me fruitful.

I asked God if He loved me, and God said, "Yes”.
He gave His only Son who died for me, and I’ll be in Heaven someday because I believe.

I asked God to help me love others, as much as He loves me.
And God said, “Ah, finally you have the idea!”

1 comment:

momofthreegirls said...

That is a very true poem. If only it was as easy to live as to read.