Friday, June 6, 2008

in the garden

Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so.
The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
Genesis 1:11-12 NIV

I spent some time outside today. The sun was shining brilliantly and it was awfully hot and I quickly became rather drippy. These conditions required several (more than just a few) drink and rest breaks.
My “Veggie Garden” was yearning for its normal, conscientious watering to begin without delay. I feel shameful because I should have come out much earlier. The tender little plants appeared to be gasping for a slow, cool, long, tall, drink of succulent water. I settled back, turned the hose nozzle to the settings of “rain” and/or “shower”, and ensured the imitation soft rain and gentle shower spray settings were tenderly caressing the teeny plants with a revitalizing soaking. It appeared to go as expected.

I gladly give Mark full credit for tilling my garden. It takes a lot of time and energy into the cultivation of a garden. It’s a difficult job to break up the soil, work in organic matter and other important ingredients, as well as improving the texture of the soil. A tiller is responsible for aeration, and that’s the key ingredient in the perfect garden recipe. I also gladly give Mark full recognition and appreciation for a job superbly done (just for me, how sweet!). .

As for the “Veggie Garden”, it’s the smallest we’ve had in several years. I planted Clemson Spineless Okra, General Lee Cucumbers, Grape Hybrid Tomatoes, and New Girl Hybrid Tomatoes. If we’re not headed for another drought this summer, I trust that we’ll eat of the fruit of the field.
There’s one more garden in back of the house. TheVeggie Garden” is just beyond my “Secret Garden”. The Secret Garden” lies directly behind the house, to the left of the deck. There’s a pathway that meanders from the driveway, turns left and runs straight along the deck, shifts right and ambles along gentle turns and bends, separating the garden borders from the lawn, and lastly, fizzles out at the shed.
 
More on my "Secret Garden" coming soon...

No comments: