Tuesday, June 24, 2008

follow the Leader

I was thinking today. About my life as it was, as it is now, and as it will be. And, thinking about God’s direction in all of it. I read somewhere once that He guides by His love, in His love, and towards His love. He wouldn’t do it any other way. Where would I be without God’s guidance along the way? (Where have I ended up when I guided myself? Not a good place, I assure you.) If I don’t follow Him, I can’t know His will in my life.

While looking up verses on the subject, I found Psalm 32:8-11 (NRS)

I will instruct you and teach you the way you should go; I will counsel you with my eye upon you. Do not be like a horse or a mule, without understanding, whose temper must be curbed with bit and bridle, else it will not stay near you. Many are the torments of the wicked, but steadfast love surrounds those who trust in the Lord. Be glad in the Lord and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart.

That sounds to me like God has promised to show me the way. And, that I’m to trust Him enough to go that way. Yep, that’s what He’s saying.

Then there's Proverbs 3:5-6 (NRS)

Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.

He’s saying that I shouldn’t guide myself. Hmmm. Doing that only puts me in a bad place.

And so it goes…He does the leading and I do the following. It’s my prayer that I’ll follow, no matter what nor why nor when nor where nor how He leads me.

No comments: