Wednesday, June 18, 2008

continued... my secret garden

The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever.
Isaiah 40:8 NIV


This small corner of my world, a place very dear to my heart, unfolds into a tranquil, peaceful place. A place where streams of sunshine dazzle before me, a place where prayers flow freely, a place where beauty surrounds me, a place where God holds me by the hand…

A large, stately sycamore tree was removed from our backyard to protect the house from harm. The empty space left behind looked obviously barren, making way for my dream of a secret garden. In an endeavor to create a blissful setting, thorough research and consideration was given to each and every aspect and detail.

I enjoyed choosing both new and transplanted shrubs, flowers, and plants. Perennials, self-seeding, and evergreens were selected for their endurance. I planted in a mishmash design, putting things here and there, sometimes with no rhyme or reason. I prefer random planting, similar in appearance to untouched natural landscapes. Over time, most of the garden has matured, some plants have multiplied many times over, others have reached for the sky, while still others have spread out along the ground.

The placement of the garden pond was a lengthy, arduous procedure completed by my dear, sweet husband. It’s a small pond with natural flat stones encircling its edges, and a surface with a large cover of water hyacinths and water lettuce. Tall elephant’s ears offer cool shade to the water on hot summer days. It’s a special treat when the hyacinth blooms. A path meanders around, ending at an old faded bench set by the pond.

This pond is home to a couple of goldfish named Jacob and Boaz. These goldfish swim to the surface for dinner, eating from the hand that feeds them. How cool is that!

No comments: