Monday, February 25, 2008

sacrifices and rewards

We had a guest speaker at church this morning. It was Dr Alvin Reid, a professor at Southeastern. He’s Associate Dean for Proclamation Studies and Professor of Evangelism. Our youth department had DiscipleNow going on this weekend, and he was the speaker. I don’t know what DiscipleNow is, but there was a large group of youth in the sanctuary wearing DiscipleNow t-shirts. From the name, it sounds like teaching the Great Commission to the youth of today. Dr Reid also spoke about how even a small Christian movement can make a big difference.

Dr Reid told us (the congregation) that every semester, he has a parent in his office crying, upset that their child has been led to the foreign mission field. I think I can understand that reaction. It’s hard to imagine your child (and his family) half-way across the world.

I’ve known for a very long time that Andrew would serve God in a special way. (A mother just knows these things.) Ever since his first summer with Campus Crusade, serving in Santa Cruz, it was evident how he felt about missions. When Andrew was very young, I began praying for the wife God had chosen for him, and what a wonderful couple they make! Both have a heart for missions, and both are following God’s call.

Each of us (Christians) serve God in different ways. I wasn’t called to work in a church somewhere in a foreign land, but I can pray for missions. I wasn’t called to be a nurse far away from here, but I can support missions. God has given us different gifts. I feel honored to be Andrew’s mother, and to be a part of God’s plan for him. Thinking back on Dr Reid’s words, about the parents in his office, I think I understand. But, I’m also excited how God is working in Andrew’s and Sheila’s lives.

I’m also reminded of the sacrifices and rewards of serving God.

The Great Commission
Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."
(Matthew 28:18-20 NIV)

1 comment:

Tom Burger said...

Admittedly, I have a hard time thinking of Andrew and Sheila and Olivia leaving to serve the Lord in another land. I've known for many years that Sheila's heart is in the mission field, and I know the Lord has a place for them to serve. But selfishly, it's hard for me to think about it. Not sure how to get past it.