Tuesday, February 26, 2008

the family, the Bible, and the prayers

From my earlier years, there are but a few specific things I remember well. I do recall our family devotions held nightly in the living room. Dad read selected passages from the Bible. I don’t know if he chose the verses or followed a devotional book. Either way, he regularly read and studied his Bible, and therefore was very wise.

Dad read from the King James Version, and I would imagine I had difficulty concentrating. Somewhere, between a thus, ‘tis, canst, thy, thou, art, shalt, etc. (and on, and on, and on…), I’m confident my mind slowly drifted away. When you’re a child, the KJV sounds like an elaborate and complicated Bible language compiled just for adults. After Dad read the Bible, we each said our prayers, beginning with the youngest (that would be me). As Dad was the oldest, his prayers were last, and by far the longest. Before our devotions came to an end, younger family members (that would be me) were likely sound asleep.

I don’t remember how or when the family devotions stopped. Mary (my sis) began working part time at Roses Dept Store and also began dating. Then, John (my brother) got a job at the A & P bagging groceries. After work, he spent a lot of time talking to girls on the phone and eating ice cream by the half-gallon. Sometime, in the midst of everything, family devotions were slowly discontinued. By that point, we most likely were old enough and mature enough to have personal devotions. Oh, did I mention that Dad’s prayers were extremely lengthy.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths. Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day. Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old. Psalms 25:1-7 (KJV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad granddad left a spiritual heritage that, Lord willing, will continue throughout many generations. Memories like that are nice to think back on.