Friday, January 11, 2008

pity party

Today, I had a bad day. In fact, the whole week hasn’t been all that great. So, today I sent out invitations to a great big “pity party”. Of course, I was the honored guest. I received three RSVPs, and was joined by me, myself, and I. We all got together and complained about this, whined about that, griped about the other, moaned about another, grumbled about…well, you get the idea.

Shame on me! How could I feel sorry for myself when innumerable others are suffering far worse than I could ever imagine??? This Bible verse teaches me that "pity parties" are never God's will. I asked for forgiveness and for joy.

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NIV)

Lord, help me to remember to be thankful for the roses and the thorns, for the good and for the bad, for the joy and for the pain, for the pretty and for the ugly – all things in my life.
My God, I have never thanked You for my thorns. I have thanked You a thousand times for my roses, but never once for my thorns. Teach me the glory of the cross I bear; teach me the value of my thorns. Show me that I have climbed closer to You along the path of pain; Show me that, through my tears, the colors of Your rainbow look much more brilliant.

Author Unknown

No comments: