Wednesday, September 5, 2007

the nursing home


This morning, I paused and realized I was humming an old hymn. It was one of my favorite old-timey ones – In the Garden. My thoughts traveled back to a time long ago, to some pleasant memories of my childhood. I hadn’t reminiscenced on these times for a long while. This is what I remember …

My Dad, along with a friend, took turns leading a prayer meeting at a local nursing home one night a week. My whole family would be there, as well as the other speaker and his wife. Others would come to join the group or to lend a hand. We usually had a nice crowd as the residents joined us in the big visiting room. The service included a time of singing, a short Bible study, and a time of prayer. Special song requests were taken from the older folks eager to hear a favorite song. I believe these hymns, so dear to their hearts, brought hope, encouragement, and love.

In addition to In the Garden, The Old Rugged Cross, Sweet By and By, The Lily of the Valley, What A Friend We Have In Jesus, and When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder are just a small sampling of the old cherished songs I recall. Sometimes there would be several children there and we would get to sing a few songs for everyone. The older folks smiled a lot and said we did a really good job. They didn’t seem to tire of Deep and Wide, Jesus Loves Me, or The B-I-B-L-E. We didn’t have many songs in our repertoire, but enough to make them happy.

After the service, we would go around the room and speak to the nursing home residents. Some were sitting on chairs or sofas and some were in wheelchairs. Some of them didn’t have family or friends to come visit and they were lonely. I think the older folks were especially glad to see children. I made some good friends during these times. Once in a while, there were one or two that would sneak me a piece of candy. I remember one old gentleman in a wheelchair who always looked so delighted when he was able to give me a treat.

Each time we met together, everyone received a blessing. I can envision how much the weekly services meant to each of the older folks. They weren’t the only ones to benefit from these times together, for I learned many lessons there. Even though I was too young at the time to understand the meaning, later in life I gained from these life experiences. I desire to always care, to always love, to always encourage, and to always make a difference.

My Dad was a great teacher.

"Do not forget the hands of the aged; they have touched much of life and have become insightful and sympathetic."
~Anonymous

34 "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' 37 "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' 40 "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'
Matthew 25:34-40

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember Mr Lewis and Dad speaking. I think it ment a lot to the folks there too. We would sing too...I think they loved for kids to come. Some would almost scare me as they would make loud noises. Thanks for bringing these things to my mind too.
Love Sissy