Tuesday, August 28, 2007

coloring outside the lines


No matter what – I can not achieve perfection. It’s an objective that’s completely and utterly impossible. Yes, my life is to be lived in a manner that emulates Jesus Christ, the only one to ever flawlessly walk this earth.

So, I’m not perfect. I say things I shouldn’t and I do things I shouldn’t. Even though I really do strive to be as God would have me, I inevitably don’t get it right. If only I’d consistently remember to stop and think before I act or react or speak or not speak. Striving to be perfect is a struggle that takes a lot of determination, perseverance, and practice. God has provided His Word and a personal relationship with Him to guide me thru life.

When I was a child, I loved to color. My first coloring books had simple pictures with thick lines. As hard as I tried, I just couldn’t stay within the lines. When I was older, the pictures were more intricate and were drawn with very thin lines. By this time, I could color much better, but no picture was ever perfect.

It’s okay to color outside the lines. I’ll keep on practicing while I’m here, and when I leave this earth, I’ll finally be complete.

Perfect, Perfection – Brought to consummation or completeness; completed; not defective nor redundant; having all the properties or qualities requisite to its nature and kind; without flaw, fault, or blemish; without error; mature; whole; pure; sound; right; correct.

“Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”
Matthew 5:48 (NIV)

My conscience is captive to the Word of God.
Author: Martin Luther

1 comment:

Tom Burger said...

When my girls were little they struggled to say in the lines. It never mattered to me. Everything they did was perfect just by virtue of a simple fact: They were my girls.

Thanks for the blessing.