Sunday, January 18, 2015

pray, praying, prayers



A promise to pray is a sacred vow.  Don’t say it if you don’t mean it.

‘You’re in my thoughts and prayers.’  ‘I’m praying for you.’  ‘I’ll keep you in my prayers.’  ‘Sending prayers your way’.  ‘I’ll be thinking about you.’  ‘I’ll be praying for you and your family.’

How many times do we say these words or hear these words or write these words or read these words? Over and over and over again.  Do we say this when we don’t know what else to say?  Is it just an automatic response?

Think about it.  What are we really saying?  Are these just empty words? Are we sincere?  Do we genuinely intend to?  Do we actually add them to our prayer list?  Do we faithfully pray for them each day? 

Do we pray specifically for/about their:

salvation/belief
health/healing
grief/pain/comfort
faith/peace
family/relationships
suffering/loss
guidance/support/strength
job/employment/finances
troubles/needs

Well, do we?
A promise to pray is a sacred vow.  Don’t say it if you don’t mean it.
This includes me.

Once Jesus was in a certain place praying. As He finished, one of His disciples came to Him and said, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his disciples.”

Luke 11:1 NLT

No comments: