Thursday, September 12, 2013

Many, many times over the years, I have found myself humming or singing and not even being aware of it, let alone knowing how long nor how many songs I’d gone thru.  Sometimes it’s Christmas songs, children’s songs, contemporary Christian songs, but the vast majority are the good old hymns inside the unused pew hymnals at church.  I really miss that.  I do like the big screens with the lyrics, but what about the words on the pages inside that hymn book?
  
Let me think... my favorite songs are:
Victory in Jesus
The Old Rugged Cross
When the Roll is Called Up Yonder
In the Garden
Wonderful Words of Life
Amazing Grace
Leaning on the Everlasting Arms
When the Saints Go Marching In
Standing On the Promises

Good grief!  I’m thinking too hard and too long on this list.  You get the idea.  Those are the best songs ever.
Okay, where did this post begin?  Oh!  My point was going to be when I’m doing that humming/singing thing: I’m happy or I’m content or I’m feeling good.  I’m not sad or upset or angry or troubled.  With these songs in my head/heart, there ain’t no room for the bad stuff.
I looked up bunches of verses in Psalms about singing, rejoicing, shouting, and joyful praising.  It’s a good thing...
 
Psalm 5:11
But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
    let them sing joyful praises forever.
Spread your protection over them,
    that all who love your name may be filled with joy.

Psalm 95:1
Come, let us sing to the Lord!
   Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation.

Psalm 98:4
Shout to the LORD, all the earth; break out in praise and sing for joy!

*New Living Translation (NLT)*

No comments: