Sunday, August 12, 2012

sunday songs


A man named C. Austin Miles (1868-1946) was first a pharmacist and then began authoring hymns and then became a music director at church.  He also was an amateur photographer.

One day in March of 1912, he was in his dark room developing film.  He had a profound spiritual experience where he saw a vision of Mary Magdalene looking into the empty tomb.  He saw her walking away into a garden, where she met Jesus.

Miles had a new song filling his mind and heart.  He sat down and wrote the lyrics to ‘In the Garden’, and that very night he composed the musical score.  The song was published in 1912.

This is one of my favorite hymns, especially when I’m in my garden...

In the Garden

I come to garden alone,
While the dew is still on the roses,
And the voice I hear falling on my ear,
The Son of God discloses . . .

And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own,
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other, has ever, known!

He speaks and the sound of His voice,
Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
And the melody that he gave to me,
Within my heart is ringing . . .

And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other, has ever, known!

No comments: