Tuesday, May 1, 2012

tears for Anaia



Yesterday afternoon, I had to stop by a lab for blood tests.  (Ouch!)  There was just one woman, ‘Maisha’, working the check-in window and drawing blood.  When I sat down waiting for the needle stick, I saw some adorable pictures of a baby girl displayed on one wall.  One was of her first birthday wearing a princess crown.  So sweet!  I asked Maisha how old she was now, and she said Anaia, her granddaughter, was 18 months old.

I couldn’t find the right words to say when Maisha told me Anaia had an inoperable brain tumor.  She told me about the struggles and about the radiation treatments and about the chemo treatments and about how that precious baby still played and still smiled and still ‘talked’.  That brought tears to my eyes.  Maisha wanted to know why, what terrible sins had she committed to be passed on to Anaia?  She wanted to know why, why, why Anaia? And, why not her?  I told Maisha that I would pray daily for Anaia, for her mother, and for her.  As I was leaving, we shared a teary hug.

I’m so ashamed and disappointed with myself.  Why couldn’t I explain the two Bible verses?  For me, even researching commentary after commentary, I still don’t know if I could.
 
You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing loving kindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.
Exodus 20:5-6 NAS

I’ve decided to write a note to Maisha and drop it by the lab.  I hope my note will somehow make it clear that her sins aren’t the reason for Anaia’s cancer.   This family has heavy hearts and I pray that God will strengthen and comfort them every step of the journey they must take.  May God be glorified in the life of Anaia.

No comments: