Wednesday, June 15, 2011

i’ve fallen and i can’t get up

I believe all us, as Christians, at one time or another, have found ourselves stuck in a pit.  Sometimes the pit isn’t very deep and the clay isn’t very soggy, sometimes the pit is narrow and the bottom is miry, sometimes the pit is wide and the clay is liquid, sometimes we fall in backwards, sometime we trip and fall in, sometimes we weren’t paying attention, sometimes we jump in, sometimes we are pushed in, sometime we slide in, sometimes we aren’t aware how we got there.  However we find ourselves in the dark hole, there’s only one way we’ll see the light, there’s only one way the bottom is firm, there’s only one way we can be freed.    

‘I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!’  How many times have we heard that?  Over and over and over again.  But, in reality, it’s so true.  When I’ve fallen, I can’t get up by myself.  It takes a loving and powerful and comforting and gracious and true and kind and faithful and majestic and holy and righteous and almighty and perfect and merciful and eternal God!  He is the one and only way we can be rescued.  He is the one and only way we can be saved.  He is the one and only way we can be set free.  He is the one and only way we can be delivered. 

I’ve been in a deep, dark pit stuck up to my neck in slimy clay.  A lot of soul searching took place down there.  A lot of tears.  A lot of questioning.  A lot of suffering. A lot of learning.  A lot of yearning.  A lot of praying.  A lot of...   

Hey, God gave me a new song!

I waited patiently for the LORD; And He inclined to me and heard my cry.  He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.  He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear And will trust in the LORD.
Psalm 40:1-3 NAS

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Good stuff!