Thursday, November 4, 2010

flowing waters

It’s no secret, I love the outdoors, nature, and all of creation.  It’s there that I can commune with God in solitude, soaking in His love and grace and salvation.   I may be resting against a tree, gazing at a quiet sleepy creek, thinking about peace beside still waters.  Or, relaxing on a bed of green moss, intently watching a clear-flowing stream, remembering living waters.  Or, perched on a boulder, watching the cascade of a roaring river, reminding me of God’s power.  Or, walking thru the mist behind a thunderous waterfall, thinking of security in God.

Jesus said:
"If any one thirst, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in me, as the scripture has said, 'Out of his heart shall flow rivers of living water." John 7:37-38 RSV

My eyes can see the rivers of God’s creation, but, more importantly, my heart can feel His rivers of living water.

John Piper said it best:

This is a great help to my faith. It adds marrow to the bones of my subjective experience when I think that all the promissory notes of the gospel are backed by the stable currency of divine objectivity. My prayer for us all is that God the Spirit might make us thirsty for Jesus Christ, that he might remove the callouses from the taste buds of our heart, and cause us to drink deep and savor the magnificence of Jesus who fulfills all of history past and embodies all the glorious hopes of the future. Because if the Spirit will do this for us we have it on the word of Jesus that "out of our hearts will flow rivers of living water." And that is what we crave above all.
(July 19, 1981, Bethlehem Baptist Church, John Piper, Pastor , Rivers From the Heart, John 7:37-38.

No comments: