Saturday, October 10, 2009

don't judge here, don't judge there, don't judge anywhere

There are times when I make a negative comment about someone. I try to avoid judging others. I know it’s not fair to criticize when I don’t have all the facts. In the last day or two, I started to make a comment, but I stopped myself. Of course, thinking it is equal to saying it.

Someone used to correct me by simply saying “don’t judge”. That someone had to correct me a number of times. It made me become more aware of judging – by thinking and by speaking. That someone taught me many other things. That ‘someone’ is my son. I believe he was in high school when my lessons began. This is just one example of how a child can teach a parent. Yep, he was and is an awesome son.

Of course, the Bible has a lot to say about judging:

Do not judge lest you be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you.
Matthew 7:1-2 NAS

Do not speak against one another, brethren. He who speaks against a brother, or judges his brother, speaks against the law, and judges the law; but if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law, but a judge of it.
James 4:11 NAS

But you, why do you judge your brother? Or you again, why do you regard your brother with contempt? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God.
Romans 14:1 NAS

1 comment:

andrew said...

you give someone too much credit