Tuesday, May 20, 2008

my sis, my cat, and my Lord

I spent Wednesday thru Friday with my Sis. She’s doing so much better than the last time I saw her. She has gotten amazingly fast with her walker, but is anxiously awaiting graduation to a cane. We had a good time together just lazing around doing nothing much except talking. Our conversations sailed around from one subject to another. We were delighted at a visit from our great-nephew and his parents. My Mom came by to spend some time with her “girls”. It was a wonderful visit with my wonderful Sis, something we haven’t been able to do for a long, long time. It’s fantastic to have a big sis…

My beloved cat Callie and I spend our days together. We are used to each other’s company and each other’s routines. There are the usual weekend trips when we visit family, she stays home by herself, but she knows what to expect. She understands when the luggage comes out from under the bed, her “parents” are going to be gone for a short time, and I emphasize “short time”. However, this time was different…

Remember now, I left Callie Wednesday. She spent her days alone and her evenings with Mark; her routine had suddenly changed. When I returned Friday evening, she spotted me in the doorway and scampered from the room to a safe hiding place. It was blatantly obvious that Callie was beyond being annoyed with me. I was devastated by her response to my absence. It bothers me that my absence had such a disparaging outcome for her; however, I can’t be with her all the time. Finally, Sunday afternoon, Callie was no longer annoyed; she forgave me and curled up for a nap with me. Ahhh, what a nice feeling…

This experience reminds me of another type of absence. An absence that will never happen. It doesn’t matter where I go. It doesn’t matter for how long I’m gone. I’ll never be abandoned. I’ll never be alone. I’m talking about my Lord. He’s always beside me. He’ll never, ever leave me. He’ll never disown me. I am His. Period. It’s a very good place to be…

The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged."
(Deuteronomy 31:8 NIV)

because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you."
(Hebrews 13:5 NIV)

No comments: