Monday, December 4, 2017

the paths of my life (reprise)

When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the LORD, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
Isaiah 43:2-3 NIV


When I have a difficult or painful or frustrating or distressing time in my life, it’s hard to walk thru unknown waters. Where is it miry? What creatures are lurking? I can’t see what’s around me. Are there any clear waters? Is some of the water shallow? Where is it deep? How far will I have to swim? And, I’m not a good swimmer. I am frightened. I don’t want to go alone.

I need strength and courage and faith.

When I find myself on the wrong side a riverbank, I have to cross to the other side. The water is raging. The rapids are powerful. I see white waters and boulders and waterfalls and turns and twists and strong currents. Will I be swept away? Is it impossible to cross? Can I do this by myself? I can hardly think with the crashing sounds around me. I am frightened. I don’t want to go alone.

I need strength and courage and faith.

When I’m face to face with fire, I don’t know what to expect. I know I can walk thru the fire and not be burned. Fire symbolizes purification and cleansing and correcting and light. It also represents God’s power and God’s presence, and the Holy Spirit. The fire of my heart needs to be (re)kindled. It should burn with love and compassion that will spread God’s flames of kindness, melting the hearts of others. This is a considerable responsibility. I am frightened. I don’t want to go alone.

I need strength and courage and faith.

I need God.


God is the one who can calm my fears.
God will never leave me alone.
I depend on God for strength and courage and faith.
It is God who purifies my heart and He uses me to spread His love and compassion.

No comments: