Sunday, April 27, 2014

Hebrews 11:21


Today’s sermon was on
Hebrews 11:21.

By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff. (KJV)

 It was by faith that Jacob, when he was old and dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons and bowed in worship as he leaned on his staff. (NLT)

By faith Jacob, when dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph, bowing in worship over the head of his staff. (ESV)

When Jacob died, what did he leave behind?  What would his sons remember him by?  What would his grandchildren remember?  Not material things nor wealth.  It would be his legacy, his heritage.  It would be his personal faith, a persevering faith, a praising faith, a prosperous faith. 

Whenever hubby and I die, what will we leave behind?  What would we be remembered by?  Our life insurance, our retirement accounts, our home?  These things would be nice to pass on to the next generation, but they don’t matter.  Materialist things just don’t matter.  What would our children and grandchildren remember us by?  

I pray they would remember me by my faith.  I pray they would remember my life in Christ.  Oh, I’m a sinner, I’ve asked for forgiveness.  But even so, I’ve done and said many things I regret, things that can’t be un-done, un-said, un-heard, un-written, un-typed.  I pray they would remember my love for Christ, my love for them, my love for others.  That’s what I want to leave behind...

No comments: