Wednesday, June 27, 2012

how long?

I hum.  I hum a lot.  I really hum a lot.  Sometimes I make a mental note in hopes I’ll be conscious of my ‘hums’.  Sometimes I’m successful and sometimes not.  Sometimes I catch myself humming and wonder ‘where did that song come from?’  It may be a children’s Sunday school song, a song on the radio from when I was a teen, something like ‘Old McDonald’ or ‘The Wheels on the Bus’, a contemporary Christian song, an old hymn, or any other song that finds itself wiggling from the song part of my brain.

Lately I’ve been slack in my quiet time.  No excuses.  After what God did for me, why don’t I hunger and thirst to spend time daily in prayer and in His Word?  Why isn’t it first and foremost in my mind each day?  Why do I automatically go to the coffee pot each morning, but not to my bible?  I know what’s wrong with this picture.

The other day I found myself humming an old hymn.  I was totally astonished.  I believe God sent me this song... 

How Long Has it Been?
By Jim Reeves

How long has it been since you talked with the Lord
And told him your heart's hidden secrets?
How long since you prayed?
How long since you stayed on your knees till the light shone through?
How long has it been since your mind felt at ease?
How long since your heart knew no burden?
Can you call him your friend?
How long has it been since you knew that he cared for you?
How long has it been since you knelt by your bed
And prayed to the Lord up in heaven?
How long since you knew that he'd answer you
And would keep you the long night through?
How long has it been since you woke with the dawn
And felt this day is worth living?
Can you call him your friend?
How long has it been since you knew that he cared for you?

No comments: