Thursday, February 26, 2009

get ready...get set...go read, listen, and pray

Give ear to my words, O LORD,
consider my sighing.
Listen to my cry for help,
my King and my God,
for to you I pray.
In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.
Psalm 5:1-3 NIV


I admit it.

Sometimes I’m guilty of not finding ‘time’ for daily devotions and prayer with God. Not finding time? That’s about the sorriest excuse ever! Not taking time for God? How much time is in a day? Is my time better than His time? It’s God that has given me the time I have!

What on earth could have a higher priority? Absolutely, positively, definitely nothing at all!

The beginning of each new day is my best time alone with God. In the quiet, stillness of the morning, it’s an excellent time for me to study and mediate on the Word of God. Spending time alone with God is essential for me to find guidance, to be encouraged, to learn, to be comforted, to understand, to open my heart, and to grow closer to Him. In the peaceful solitude, my heart is prepared to listen. When I talk to God, I know my prayers are heard. My prayers may be simple, but He knows my heart. Prayer is a time to pour out my soul, to ask for strength, to cry, to give thanks, to laugh, and to ask for help.

There is plenty of time for me to spend alone with God. No excuses. Just do it.

It takes discipline. It takes commitment. It takes devotion. It takes obedience. It takes dedication.

Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed. Mark 1:35 NIV

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. Luke 5:16 NIV