Sunday, July 13, 2008

is it nap time yet?

A couple of days ago, I had four or five errands to run (why is it “run errands”? An errand is a chore. And run, I suppose that’s running away from errands Mmm). Since gas prices have gone up, up, and more up, I try to plan my errands in a green way. That said, when I was finally finished with my errand run, I was very tired and wanted a nap.


I was not in the mood to deal with traffic, and certainly not heavy traffic (why is it “heavy traffic”? Is it heavy because of an auto’s weight? Or, does heavy mean a lot of? I really don’t know). Anyway, I was sharing the road with a lot of vehicles (and I emphasize a lot, and not everyone was nicely sharing the road). I found myself smack dab in the middle of it all, and it wasn’t even rush hour (I think it’s called “rush hour” since most are rushing to get somewhere. But, for some, it’s less than an hour, and for others it’s more than hour. Maybe an hour is just an estimation. Whatever).

Things I saw, or was otherwise subjected to…speeding, slamming on brakes, lack of turn signals, following too closely (aka “tailgating”, and who came up with “tailgating” anyway?), cutting in front of, squealing tires, running red lights, reckless lane changing, revving engines, stinky exhaust, even down-right pokey driving, polite drivers, horn honkers, starting and stopping, the cell phone thing, etc… Somebody didn’t take the Auto Etiquette course. I was thankful there wasn’t any road rage.

It suddenly occurred to me that most everyone seemed to be racing. I’m not talking about NASCAR racing – more like a speedy run to K-mart before missing a “blue light special”. Hmm. Maybe a “blue light”, accompanied by a “pink slip” is just the ticket (pun intended).

Remember, I was very tired and wanted a nap. My patience was tried and tested. I’m sorry to say, but my patience didn’t test very well.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Galatians 5:22 NAS

No comments: