Wednesday, July 23, 2008

here & there

Last week, we took a trip to the Tidewater area of Virginia. Mark’s Mom went with us, and we had a relaxing visit with family. It had been two years since we were there, and that was for a funeral. This time, I’m thankful the trip was just a “visiting” trip.

Along the way, my dear, sweet husband turned into a sneaky, wily nily driver. He somehow managed for me to be fast asleep before reaching the Monitor-Merrimack bridge-tunnel. Did I mention that it was 4.6 miles of white-knuckle action? The bridge became a four-lane tunnel descending 4,800 feet into the dark waters of the Hampton Roads harbor. Did I mention that the speed limit was 60 mph? Maybe my dear, sweet husband knew how I felt about the thing and wanted to spare me the misery. But still, ..

We enjoyed seeing everyone and catching up. Our sweet granddaughter met us there. Oh, she did bring her parents along as well. Being around “strangers”, eating at “strange” places, and sleeping in “strange” beds - the little one took it all in stride. She was a joy to be around and she brightened every room. Did I mention that she is a delightful granddaughter? Well, she is.

The way home didn’t take us to a bridge-tunnel. However, we did have to cross a little bridge. The aforementioned bridge was the four-lane James River Bridge, stretching 4.5 (very long) miles, and I didn’t care what the speed limit was. It wouldn’t have mattered anyway.

The visit was very enjoyable, but it’s always nice to be back home. Tomorrow, I’m off again. This time, for a few days with my Sis


2 comments:

momofthreegirls said...

I am so glad you had a good visit. Cute grand daughter.

Anonymous said...

We had a great visit too. It was great to see everyone again.